Our effective learning analytics project will provide a solution for institutions around the use of analytics to improve retention, attainment and employability. As part of this solution we are developing a student mobile app for learning analytics.
We have already gathered potential requirements through consultation with staff and students (Jisc, 2015). This has suggested the following requirements in the following areas.
The first area is around information provision to students, and comprises functionality for:
- Monitoring academic progress
- Comparing progress to other learners or to prior performance
- Monitoring engagement with learning
- Providing useful information such as exam times and whether there are free computers available
The second area is concerned with action – the student actively entering information or doing something to enhance their learning. It consists of:
- Prompts and suggestions
- Communication facilities with staff and students
- The upload of personal data
- Providing consent to what data is used for learning analytics
The consultation process will continue through 2015 and an agile development process will commence in the summer to develop some prototypes that will be available for review and testing at the workshop.
The student app will be developed using a co-design collaborative approach, which is steered by customer priorities and designed to exploit new opportunities and address pressing issues in higher and further education.
The timings for the session will be as follows:
1) Introduction (10 min) – introduction to the workshop and its aims, overview of the learning analytics project.
2) Overview of the participatory approach take with staff and students (10 mins)
3) Small group discussions to review the current prototypes and requirements (30 mins)
4) Group feedback (10 mins)
Participants will benefit through:
a) participating in the development and specification of a new technology
b) hearing what students want
c) reviewing requirements for a student app learning analytics
Jisc, 2015. Gathering requirements for a student app for learning analytics. [Online] Available at <http://analytics.jiscinvolve.org/wp/2015/03/18/gathering-requirements-for-a-student-app-for-learning-analytics/>. [Accessed 30 March 2015].