ALT ELESIG advocates for the theory and practice of researching learners’ experience in the context of technology-enhanced learning (TEL), formerly referred to as e-learning. Established in 2008, ELESIG (Evaluating Learners’ Experiences of e-learning Special Interest Group), has raised the importance and profile of learner experience research nationally and internationally with the help of its organising committee members in different regional groups and its members. In 2019, ELESIG became a special interest group in ALT.
ALT ELESIG is also valued for its inclusivity, in the sense that the threshold to participation includes only a willingness to share ideas with and learn from other members about learner experience research. The group is also valued for its spirit of sharing and collaboration, as well as being a members-led organisation. These aspects are complementary to ALT’s core values of participation, openness, collaboration and independence.
ELESIG offers ALT members a unique opportunity to engage in research and scholarship around technology-enhanced learning and teaching, using learner experience research to contribute to a growing evidence-base around pedagogically effective digital education to guide future developments in learning and teaching across the education sectors.
Aims and remit
ALT-ELESIG seeks to connect members nationally and internationally, interested in learner experience research in digital education. We aim to enhance capacity building to undertake this type of research to enhance the student learning experience across all education sectors by:
- Sharing good practice and developments in learner experience research methodology and methods.
- Sharing the outcomes of specific learner experience research studies, including successes, issues and challenges.
- Identifying areas of shared interest for cross-institutional collaborations.
- Raising the profile of learner experience research within the sectors.
- Collaborating with other stakeholder groups involved with learner experience research, including students as partners.
Our current priorities and ideas for 2021/2022 include continuing with our webinar series and continue to conduct and disseminate research on the ELESIG Scholar Scheme. The new Officers can help us shape ALT ELESIG’s activities going forward.
Nominations for Officer roles
Nominations are invited for the following Officers of the Organising Committee:
- Vice chair;
As per its Constitution, Committee Officers of ALT ELESIG are unpaid posts and due to covid will be appointed for eighteen months with the option to reapply for a further term.
Individuals may nominate for more than one role and should submit separate nominations for each. Committee Officers need to hold a membership within ALT (either individual or work at an organisation with an institutional ALT membership). These roles provide great opportunity for developing and evidencing leadership for Advance HE Fellowships and other CPD avenues. More information on the work of the committee can be found on the ALT ELESIG website.
Nominations should include:
- A statement of interest, experience and envisaged contribution in relation to the Role of the Organising Committee as outlined in the Constitution, and willingness/ability to attend ALT ELESIG OC meetings. Statements will be circulated to all ELESIG members in preparation for the AGM. Maximum 200 words.
- Signed statements of support from a proposer and seconder, both of whom must be ELESIG members.
- Proof of ALT membership (individual or institutional).
Submit nominations to (or contact with any questions) the current chair, Dr Denise Sweeney, firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm 11th March 2022.
Call opened for Officers of the ALT-ELESIG Organising Committee:
- 5pm Friday 11th March 2022 – Deadline for nominations
- In lieu of the AGM which took place in November 2021, the Organising Committee will co-opt the officers into their role at 13.00 on the 22nd March.
- March 2022 – September 2023 New officers take up posts. Members of the Organising Committee will be available to mentor and support new officers between March and August 2022.